Sepang International Circuit (SIC), in partnership with the Motorsports Association of Malaysia (MAM), yesterday recognised leading icons and teams in Malaysian motorsports at the SIC-Motorsports Association of Malaysia Awards 2016.
The collaboration between SIC with the Sportswriters Association of Malaysia (SAM) also recognises the top motorsports journalist and photographer of the year.
The inaugural awards event, held at the Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur hotel was graced by YB Dato’ Wira Othman Aziz, Deputy Finance Minister I.
In the event, eight competitive awards were presented to individuals and teams who showed exceptional performance in 2016, while nine people were inducted into the Malaysian Motorsports Hall of Fame – the first batch to be recognised. Themed ‘The Beginning of Motorsports in Malaysia’ this year, the Hall of Fame celebrates the greatest names in Malaysian motorsports across F1, MotoGP, two-wheel and four-wheel motorsports and their great service to the development of motorsports in Malaysia.
The winners are:
• SIC-MAM-SAM Media Award (Best Journalist)
Saiful Affendy Sapran from Harian Metro for the article Tindakan wajar
• SIC-MAM-SAM Media Award (Best Photographer)
Abdul Razak Latif from Kosmo
• Team of the Year (Two Wheels)
Project X Racing
• Team of the Year (Four Wheels)
Sakura Tedco Racing
• SIC National Championship Award
Tengku Djan Ley Tengku Mahaleel
• Malaysia Motorsports People’s Choice Award
Hafizh Syahrin Abdullah
• Best Driver of the Year (4 Wheels)
• Best Rider of the Year (2 Wheels)
Khairul Idham Pawi
The inductees to the Malaysian Motorsports Hall of Fame are as follows:
• Datuk Abdul Razak Dawood
• Tan Sri Mokhzani Mahathir
• Allahyarham Tan Sri Basir Ismail
• Karamjit Singh
• Alex Yoong
• Ron Hogg
• Shahrul Yuzy Ahmad Zaini
• Khairul Idham Pawi
• Muhammad Zulfahmi Khairuddin